Evernote and Kill Shakespeare

The two pitches I’d like to deconstruct are Phil Libin’s Evernote and Conor McCreery and Anthony Del Col’s winning Pitch This! project Kill Shakespeare.

Evernote elevator pitch

2010 Toronto International Film Festival’s Pitch This!

Out of all the elevator pitches I have viewed so far, this one seems most likely to take place in an actual elevator, outside of one or anywhere a person has a minute to listen to an idea. Props to Phil for wearing the company logo, a simple gesture which adds to the experience he is evoking: how to keep track of the branding that we notice everywhere. He briefly discusses how Evernote is an easy solution for storing these images on any device available. While he may come across as a showrunner with his quick speech, I get the sense that this is due to him pitching and tweaking the idea as many times as possible, rather than over-rehearsing the pitch in front of a mirror. Plus he seems genuine when thanking the “catcher” for giving him some time. He has credibility, as well as a firm understanding of the venture concept. It doesn’t hurt that doing a bit a research shows that he is as good as his word, and Evernote is a marketable brand.

McCreery and Del Col’s winning pitch in CBCnews

I have been keeping an eye on these two Torontarians since first hearing about their project last year. Lucky bastards was my initial response 😛 but the more I found out about the evolution of this project, the more I began to admire their ability to adapt, from video game idea to published graphic novel to a film in the works. They also score points for addressing the problem with Shakespeare in education: when treated as a collection of difficult words, nobody would be interested, but when the spotlight is on the characters, there is ready market waiting to be tapped. As an educator, I’d be a bit leery about their bold statement about Kill Shakespeare being a “gateway drug” but it does present an edgier artist or even neophyte scholar pitch.

For those of you who waded through the TIFF 2010 Pitch This! video clip, I really liked the subtle appropriation of lines from the plays, and both displayed enthusiasm for the project, yet the trailer itself was a bit underwhelming. Still they have confidence and poise, and not so surprising that they got the novelty cheque for $10,000. There will be a lot more pitching to get this film looking like Lord of the Rings, but they are off to a good start!

Posted in: Week 03: Analyst Bootcamp